Summery vegetable risotto
For this recipe, we decided to use Arborio rice, because it absorbs many times its own weight in water and is famous for its creamy texture when cooked.
The rice is served mixed with green, red, yellow and white varieties of different vegetables.
We hope you’ll enjoy preparing this colorful dish as much as we did!
Ingredients for 4 persons:
- 150 g risotto rice
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 zucchini
- a handful of sugar snap peas
- a handful of red and yellow bell peppers
- 1 spear each of white and green asparagus
- 1–2 string beans
- 1–2 tomatoes
- Clove of garlic
- 1 tsp. grated ginger
- 1 tsp. Vata Churna
- 1/2 tsp. herb mix for Italian pasta
- a few saffron threads
- 1–2 Tbsp. Ghee
- 1–2 tsp. lemon juice
- approx. 500 ml water
- salt and pepper
- Wash, peel and cut the vegetables into small pieces. Remove the skin from the tomatoes.
- Peel and grate the ginger. Remove the germ inside the garlic clove and cut into small pieces.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of Ghee in a saucepan. Add the Vata Churna and the herb mixture, sauté briefly.
- Now add the vegetables and sauté over low heat, stirring frequently. After about two minutes, pour in the water, add a little salt and a pinch of pepper and simmer for 8–10 minutes.
- In a second saucepan, heat the remaining Ghee. Add the ginger and garlic. Grind the saffron threads and add them as well.
- Add the rice and stir frequently until it becomes glazed, then reduce the temperature. Now pour in some vegetable broth little by little, stirring again and again until the rice absorbs the vegetable broth. After about 15 minutes, the rice should have a creamy, smooth texture.
- Then mix in the cooked vegetables and the lemon juice. Garnish with parsley, cilantro (coriander leaf) or basil.
Stir more frequently until the sauce takes on a gentle creamy consistence. Season to taste with salt, pepper and a pinch of sugar.
Arrange the asparagus and cover with the sauce. Garnish with green herbs.
Recipe and pictures: Jochen Lotz
© Maharishi Ayurveda Health Centre Bad Ems