Mashed potatoes with vegetable milk
Doesn’t everyone like mashed potatoes, nicely warm and soft? Except… that one always feels some discom- fort after eating them? Ayurveda tells us why: milk, combined with salty dishes, clumps in the stomach and is then difficult to digest.
One could take a substitute from the health food store, made from soy, oats, or almonds. However, soy milk etc. is “processed food”, i.e. food which has been pro- cessed and preserved, and thus has already lost part of its nutritional value.
Therefore, we have developed a “vegetable milk” you can prepare yourself, perfectly suited for a tasty and easily-digested dish of mashed potatoes.
Organic* ingredients (for two portions):
- 400g – 500g floury potatoes
- a pinch of nutmeg
- salt to taste
- 50g minced fennel
- 50g red bell peppers, finely diced
- 20g celery root
- 20g white cabbage or fennel
- 20g sweet potato
- 20g parsnip
- 350 ml water
- 1/4 tsp of broth granules
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 2 tablespoons of Ghee or sunflower oil
- 2-3 drops of agave syrup
* Organic-quality ingredients contain more nutrients and have more taste.
- Chop the fennel into small pieces and cook in a pan until golden brown.
- Cut the red peppers into fine cubes and steam them.
- Cook the celeriac, white cabbage, sweet potato, and parsnip in a little water, with the broth granules, ginger and coriander.
- Put 350ml of water, 2 tablespoons of Ghee, 2–3 drops of agave syrup and the vegetables in a high-per formance mixer (smoothy mixer) and mix for about two minutes.
The vegetable milk should have the consistency of liquid cream.
- Peel the floury potatoes, cook, drain and let any excess moisture evaporate.
- Mash with a potato masher, or put through a potato press if you like it smooth.
- Heat the vegetable milk and gently stir in with the mashed potatoes using a stable whisk until the mas- hed potatoes have the desired consistency. Some vegetable milk may be left over.
- Stir in a pinch of nutmeg and salt to taste.
- Serve onto preheated plates, sprinkle with the fennel and bell pepper decoration and pour a little hot Ghee or sunflower oil over it.
You can serve all kinds of vegetables with the mashed potatoes as per your tradition. Or serve it with a dark sauce, as an alternative to Ghee or oil.
Fotos & Recipe: Monika Schwarz and Hans-Jürgen Metz
© Maharishi Ayurveda Privatklinik Bad Ems
« Back to list